Ghent University's International Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering is an ideal specialisation programme for holders of a bachelor’s or master’s degree in (electro-)mechanical or civil engineering. There is a strong European tendency to move from prescriptive towards performance-based fire safety designs. This goes hand in hand with a strong need for advanced knowledge in the multidisciplinary field of Fire Safety Engineering (FSE).
The masters can find a job as fire safety engineer:
- in fire protection consultancy companies;
- in design bureaus for structural stability and/or technical equipment of buildings;
- in architect bureaus;
- in fire prevention services of larger cities;
- as responsible person for fire prevention in industry;
- in prevention departments of fire brigades;
- in fire protection equipment industry;
- as fire experts in insurance companies;
- as fire experts in governmental agencies;
- in standard testing laboratories;
- in environmental impact assessment consultancies;
- in health and safety organisations;
- in research and education institutes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Explosions and Industrial Fire Safety
- Fire Dynamics
- Fire Research Seminar
- Thermodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer
- Material Behaviour at Ambient and Elevated Temperatures
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Emergency & Disaster Management View 4 other Masters in Emergency & Disaster Management in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelors or Masters in: architecture, civil engineering, electrical engineering, electromechanical engineering, chemical engineering, engineering physics, materials science, urbanism and spatial planning.
- Other degrees on the basis of a study of individual skills (e.g. fire safety consultants, fire prevention officers, fire brigade officers, building designers, building services engineers, architectural practitioners).
International5744 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5744 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA962 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 962 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Gent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.