There is increasing emphasis across surgical specialities on sound education, assessment and appraisal, and a growing recognition that education is key to safe clinical practice and effective professional development.
Surgery – with its professional emphasis on craft, performance and teamwork – presents unique opportunities and challenges to educators and trainers.
These courses aim to challenge your thinking and develop your practice as a surgical educator. You will develop your theoretical and practical understanding of surgical education and the judgment needed to innovate in this important and growing field.
They will be of interest to those involved in the education of students and trainees in interventional and surgical specialities. Although we expect participants to bring relevant experience of medicine, surgery, and training in the workplace, we make few assumptions of prior knowledge in the field of education.
These courses will equip graduates to further careers in healthcare and surgery–related education and provide a solid foundation for those who intend to go on to study an MD or PhD.
- Graduates of these Surgical Education MEd programme from Imperial College London will be well placed to advance their careers in a range of directions.
- If you are a senior in your ‘first’ profession, these courses could represent professionalisation for a role you may have taken on without full and appropriate academic training.
- As a graduate, you will be well positioned to take increased educational responsibility in universities, trusts and professional bodies, and influence policy and practice. You will also be empowered to carry out research in surgical education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Learning, Teaching and Becoming a Surgical Educator
- Assessment of and for Learning
- Learning and Teaching in Surgical Environments
- Educational Design and Evaluation
- Impact of Policy and Context on Surgeon Educators
- Theories and Scholarship Underpinning Surgical Education Practice
- Simulation for Surgical Education
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- As a guide, visa nationals (overseas applicants) should aim to apply by no later than 30 June.
PG Dip: 60 credits
DisciplinesEducation Biology Human Medicine View 947 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- The minimum requirement is a 2.1 Bachelor's Degree with Honours in medicine or a science, engineering, computing, healthcare, or education subject (or a comparable qualification recognised by the College).
- We normally also require three years of relevant experience in a healthcare field (not necessarily surgery) and/or relevant teaching/education development and research experience.
- Practical experience of surgery, surgery-related practices and training in this domain are necessary to take advantage of this challenging programme. You should be actively involved in education activity while undertaking this programme.
- A wide variety of international qualifications are accepted.
- All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
- Online application.
- Application fee.
International37800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37800 GBP per year during 36 months.
National14650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14650 GBP per year during 36 months.
- PG Dip (Online) - £10,400
- PG Dip (Blended) - £11,720
- PG Dip (Online) - £17,160
- PG Dip (Blended) - £30,240
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.