This Data and Decision Analytics MSc course offered by the University of Southampton will give you the skills and knowledge to make better decisions based on data. There is also a strong focus on real work experience, with opportunities for summer projects in a range of industries.Through this degree you’ll learn:
- programming skills in R and in Python
- advanced theory and methods of applied statistics
- practical application of operational research
- modelling of deterministic and stochastic systems
- industry career skills working on a project with an external organisation
You'll take on 3-month summer project which can be in operational research, statistics, data science or a combination of each. This is excellent preparation if you want to go onto a PhD in one of these areas.There are 2 options for this project:
- The opportunity to compete for a 3-month project with an external organisation
- An internal project linked to the latest research led by one of our academics
You'll also get the chance to meet with the CORMSIS Business Advisory Board which is represented by major companies including; Tesco, Shell, British Airways and HM Revenue & Customs. They ensure this MSc continues to be fresh and relevant to the needs of employers, so you’ll have excellent employment prospects.
- Data science has seen an unparalleled expansion as the data-driven economy grows. Having a good understanding of the process of deriving actionable insights from data opens-up a huge amount of career options.
- Increasingly organisations require skilled professionals who can handle large datasets and managers who can utilise the resulting analysis to make impactful decisions. The nature of the work brings MSc Data and Decision Analytics graduates into early contact with senior management which can offer opportunities for rapid career advancement.
- Deterministic OR Methods for Data Scientists
- Likelihood and Bayesian Inference
- Machine Learning
- Presenting Reports
- Statistical Computing for Data Scientists
- Stochastic or Methods for Data Scientists
- Analytical Consultancy Skills
- Computer-based statistical modelling
- Credit Scoring and Data Mining
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Data Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 236 other Masters in Machine Learning in United Kingdom
You’ll need a 2:1 degree in a subject that involves some quantitative training, such as:
- computer science
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.