This Contemporary Curation MA course at the University of Southampton is a rigorous 12-month art curator degree which will help you understand how to curate a compelling and relevant art exhibition within groups and independently. From curating contemporary performance to handling historic art objects, this versatile course will help you to apply practical skills to a variety of different art mediums and disciplines.
Your learning will take place in the picturesque city of Winchester, where you will join a thriving artist community with direct access to practising artists from Winchester School of Art at student and staff level. The Winchester Gallery is based at Winchester School of Art and is open to the public. Your involvement in managing the gallery will give you real professional experience in understanding the practical and logistical requirements of curating.
You’ll consider your exhibition’s profile, including the theme, whether the location is private or public and how your audience interacts with the artwork. Your decisions as a curator will be research-led, referring to theoretical art concepts and critically reflecting on your own practice throughout. We look at digital curation, the way artwork is stored, collected and archived online, considering benefits and limitations of digital curation in contemporary art.By studying this MA in curating you’ll learn how to:
- curate compelling art exhibitions based on research across disciplines and discourses
- develop critical thinking to collate and curate artworks which challenge the audience
- understand the current concerns and limitations of contemporary curation and culture
- get hands-on experience from practical workshops in object-handling and setting up exhibitions using lighting and tools
- attend visits to local and London-based art exhibitions where you’ll question and debate different curatorial approaches
You could work towards a career in cultural and public policy-making, cultural management or arts-commissioning and funding. Our graduates have gone to get the following jobs:
- Working for the Royal Academy and Tate, London
- Member of the Diversity Working group at Tate, London
- Programme and Project Officer for a-space, Southampton
- Engagement Officer at the John Hansard Gallery, Southampton
- Exhibition Designer in Shanghai
- Education Coordinator at the Camden Arts Centre, London
- Volunteer Coordinator at the Royal Society of Sculptors, London
By studying this course, you'll be able to work in the following areas:
- public or private galleries
- heritage or cultural organisations
- international art fairs
- arts or culture publications
Our professional experience means we can provide expert careers guidance and support. Through our industry contacts, you may be able to set up an internship or work experience independently.
- Contemporary Curation: Practices
- Contemporary Curation: Theories and Histories
- Methods of Cultural Inquiry
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Digital Cultures
- Experimental Publishing
- Exploring the Visual Language of Display
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Museum Studies View 105 other Masters in Museum Studies in United Kingdom
- You'll need a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject.
- For mature students, If you don’t have a formal qualification, your application will be considered based on previous experience and background in the subject.
International23000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £23,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.