Drawing on wide-ranging and world-leading staff expertise, this interdisciplinary MA Environmental Humanities programme at University of Plymouth will enable you to build key skills in communication, research and critical and creative thinking invaluable for building more environmentally responsible societies of the future.
- Develop your environmental interests through humanities-based perspectives.
- Design your own interdisciplinary pathway by choosing from a range of modules in English, History, Anthropology, Sociology and Education.
- Work with world-leading experts in a range of different disciplines.
- Study at a university with strong environmental credentials; Plymouth is home to the Marine Institute and the Sustainable Earth Institute, which connect the environmental sciences to the arts and humanities through a range of exciting collaborations and events.
- Benefit from University connections with a range of local and national organisations, such as the National Trust, Devon Wildlife Trust, the Marine Biological Association, National Marine Aquarium and The Box.
- Make the most of the local area for both curricular and extra-curricular activities, with easy access to Dartmoor, as well as miles of beautiful coastline, numerous Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty nearby and the UK’s first National Marine Park in Plymouth Sound.
Careers with this subject:
The challenges of building a greener society have risen to the top of political, social and cultural agendas. This MA programme will enable students to gain interdisciplinary knowledge and skills crucial to this growth area. The MA in Environmental Humanities opens up a wide range career opportunities for graduates in areas such as
- ‘green’ cultural and creative industries such as film, TV, art and creative writing and other media
- environmental journalism and communication
- private companies with a sustainability agenda
- conservation and environmental non-governmental organisations
- local, national and international governmental agencies concerned with conservation, climate change, and sustainable development.
To help you build your experience and skills portfolio, the MA also has the capacity to facilitate work-based projects and internships with partner organisations such as the National Trust.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Research Methods & Debates in the Environmental Humanities
Coastal Cultures: Environmental and Maritime Anthropology
Natural Knowledge and Narrative Knowing: Literatures of nature in North America
Filth and the Victorians
The Experience of Outdoor Learning
Alternatives in Education and Society
Learning for Sustainability and Global Citizenship
Media, Culture and the Environment
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most of our taught programmes begin in September. Applications can usually be made throughout the year, and are considered until programmes are full.
DisciplinesHuman Resource Management Sustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 277 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A good degree (normally a 2.1 or above) in any discipline. Outstanding candidates without a degree but with relevant professional qualifications or experience are also welcome to apply.
- Other qualifications accompanied by substantial experience in an appropriate field may also be considered. Non-standard applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part time (Home) - £450 per 10 credits.
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.