Why choose this programme?
Our M.A. in “Social and Cultural Anthropology” at the University of Tübingen aims to create an understanding of the interrelationships between different aspects of society and therefore cover a wide range of topics such as religion, migration and integration, economic and political organization, health and illness, ritual and performance, violence and memory, patterns of exchange, kinship and solidarity, and socio-cultural diversity.
Students spend their third semester either engaging in a research project or working as an intern in an organization, for example, an NGO, a school or a museum.The ability to critically analyze and reflect on the dynamics and specificity of societies and cultures in a global context constitutes the core principle underlying this program.
Students learn to understand both connections within societies and connections between societies. A detailed study of local life in a particular society or a delineated social environments the methodological entrance to such an in-depth understanding.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students attend courses on regional, theoretical and thematic topics and have an opportunity to get training in the field of Applied Anthropology.
- In the third semester students go abroad to either Central or South Asia where they conduct a research project or work as an intern in an organization.
- The regional focus on South and Central Asia is complemented by research and courses on Africa and the Middle East.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Sociology View 84 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A B.A.-degree in Social and/or Cultural Anthropology.
- Students may be expected to take extra courses to obtain any skills lacking from their Bachelor's program.
- Since all courses are offered in English, applicants must have successfully passed the Cambridge Certificate Test B2.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Tübingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.