Mathematics is a key aspect of education, from early years through to university, for economic wellbeing in contemporary digital, competitive environments. Learners of all ages should be confident and capable in using and applying their mathematics knowledge and this requires competent and inspirational teachers. The MA Mathematics Education course is offered by University of Plymouth .
- This is a fully online masters degree in mathematics education, the first such course in a UK university. It is based on the expertise and experience of staff in the Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching, a research and development centre dedicated to supporting teachers of mathematics in Primary, Secondary and Tertiary sectors of education.
- The professional development innovations are supported through working with colleagues using Japanese-style lesson study for review, evaluation and sustainability; this course provides the training needed for implementation of effective lesson study.
- Evidence of innovative and motivating strategies for teaching and learning is based on video clips from the UK and, in particular, Finland, Japan and New Zealand which are all countries with mathematical high progress throughout school education.
- Overall the modules are designed to help teachers develop their own inspiring and motivating lessons, based on effective strategies from mathematically high performing countries together with support to take on a leading role in mathematics education in their institution, whether in the Primary, Secondary or Tertiary sector of education.
- The modules also introduce sensible and straightforward ways of using educational research for development, implementation and evaluation of school or classroom based initiatives, including one major initiative that will be the focus of the final module.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCore modules:
Masters of Arts in Education Dissertation
Teaching Mathematics through Problem Solving
Teaching and Learning Mathematics for Understanding
Teaching Mathematics through its applications
Researching Educational Practice in Context
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most of our taught programmes begin in September. Applications can usually be made throughout the year, and are considered until programmes are full.
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics View 918 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- It would be expected that the candidate would have a first degree and, in England, QTS or its equivalent.
- Normal minimum entry requirements are a first degree class 2:1 but we will consider students below 2:1 if they can demonstrate a strong academic portfolio or a record of professional experience.
- Normal minimum entry requirements are 2:1 (or equivalent)
- We will consider students below 2:1 if they can demonstrate a strong academic portfolio or a record of professional experience.
- IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent required for overseas students.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15200 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9100 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Part time (Home) - £500 per 10 credits.
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.