However, raw materials, intermediate product, finished product, and the many different processes involved may represent a risk of accidents and safety efforts are therefore a high priority. Key tasks include prevention and control of explosions, fires, heat emitting chemical reactions ("run-away") and emissions of toxic / corrosive substance. Research tasks are often carried out in close cooperation with external agencies, particularly GexCon AS, Bergen, one of the leading research environments in the world in the fields of oil mist, dust and gas explosions, both experimentally and theoretically.
University of Bergen's Process safety technology Master's programme in process safety technology gives a broad basic understanding of current challenges in the field. The work with the master thesis involves analysing measurements and evaluating the results in light of the hypotheses that are tested. The study will give experience with oral and written presentation of results and theories, and training to read and evaluate relevant scientific literature.
- explain the phenomena, concepts and theories related to the combustion of gases, liquids and particles
- explain methods for prevention and control of various types of explosions (gas, mist or dust) in the industry on land and at sea
- describe the area classification and design of electrical equipment for use in hazardous area
- have knowledge of the use of risk analysis as a tool for decision
- set up and perform simple explosion calculations with simulation software
- show that one has good knowledge in process safety technology in general, and specialized insight in a smaller area connected to the Master degree project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology General Engineering & Technology View 32 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In order to apply for the Master's Programme in process safety technology you need a bachelor's degree in petroleum and process technology or the like. The degree needs to fulfill specific admission requirements.
- Norwegian bachelor's degrees in petroleum technology (UiS) and oil and gas technology (NTNU), or equivalent bachelor's degrees where courses similar to PTEK202 and PTEK100 are included.
- Norwegian bachelor's degrees in energy, physics, mathematics, underwater technology, process, machine or safety / fire safety, where courses similar to PTEK202 and PTEK100 are included.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Bergen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.