Such topics range from nanophysics to cosmic physics. University of Bergen's Acoustics is about understanding the physical processes occurring in the interaction of sound waves with matter, and to exploit these processes, e.g. in measurement methods and instruments. Modern acoustics is a science in rapid development and growth, with numerous important application areas within industry and society. Examples include petroleum, medicine, fisheries, marine science, geoscience, materials technology, electronics, etc.
The master programme in acoustics provides a thorough introduction to the science of sound, with emphasis on ultrasound. During the master education, the student is - through supervision - trained in conducting an independent scientific work, related to an ongoing research activity in the acoustics group. The master thesis consists of theoretical and/or experimental work, often combined with numerical modelling. The student is trained in methods used in basic research and applications of ultrasound, such as e.g. within technology, medicine, marine science, etc. Emphasis is laid on conscious evaluation of own work and published research, besides of skills in presenting the work in scientific writing and orally.
- convey facts and discuss basic theories within acoustics
- explain the fundament for use of acoustics in selected areas, such as within medicine, measurement instrumentation, marine science, etc.
- explain selected experimental methods and measurement techniques within acoustics
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of acoustics at a good level, and specialized insight in a more narrow area connected to the master thesis project.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Physics Natural Sciences View 18 other Masters in Physics in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In order to apply for the Master Programme in Physics, acoustics, you need a bachelor degree in Physics or related fields.
- Bachelor degree in Physics
- Other bachelor degrees can qualify if you can document courses in Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equation, Function of Several Variables, Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Basic Measurement Science and Experimental Physics, Modern Physics, Project in Physics
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
The semester fee is NOK 590
Living costs for Bergen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.