Russian Studies by Research (On-Campus or by Distance Learning) programme at University of Birmingham requires you to prepare a thesis of up to 40,000 words.Distance learning
You can study an MA by Research or PhD programme on campus or by distance learning. Please note that if you are studying with us by distance learning, the programme includes a fully-funded annual visit to campus for each full year of your programme (every two years for part-time students).
- World-leading research: You will be studying with the Department of Modern Languages which has been recognised for the quality of the research in the latest Research Excellence Framework.
- Interdisciplinary study: The Department incorporates the subject areas of French Studies, German Studies, Italian Studies, Russian Studies and Hispanic Studies.
- Employability skills: Birmingham’s Modern Languages postgraduates develop excellent communication skills, whilst cultural awareness and foreign language skills are highly sought after by employers.
- Interdisciplinary research: the University of Birmingham encourage and enable interdisciplinary research, and have a successful history of joint supervisions with other departments and schools, in particular with Social Sciences and Geography.
Birmingham's Modern Languages postgraduates develop excellent communication skills, whilst cultural awareness and foreign language skills are highly sought after by employers. Postgraduates in Modern Languages also have a range of transferable skills including the ability to gather and interpret information, organisational skills and the ability to work well with others. Such skills can be used in a variety of occupations.
Some of our language graduates train to become professional linguists such as translators and interpreters. Other graduates enter employment where their language skills may be advantageous but not central to their role - for example, within international organisations - and some go on to teaching or lecturing positions.
Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include: Language Connect; RWS Group; TransPerfect Global Business Solutions; University of Birmingham; University of Cambridge; and University of Oxford.
More informationVisit official programme website
- French studies
- German studies
- Hispanic studies
- Italian studies
- Modern languages (audio-visual)
- Russian studies
- Sexuality and gender studies
- Translation studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Research starting in January or September is encouraged, but flexible start dates may be available.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 483 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent).
International17880 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17880 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4380 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £2,190 part-time
- International: £8,940 part-time
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,609 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,000 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.