Our expertise in Law at University of Birmingham spans a wide range of areas, including commercial law, criminal law, criminal justice, judicial administration, European law, public law, human rights, international law, private law, restitution, conflicts of law, international economic law, comparative law, health and social welfare, socio-legal studies, and legal theory.
- With supervision from academic staff, our PhD programme requires you to research and write a thesis of 80,000 words that makes an original contribution to knowledge. Full-time students are expected to complete their work within three years. This programme can also be studied by Distance Learning
- The MPhil programme requires you to research and write a 60,000-word thesis under the supervision of academic staff. Full-time students are expected to complete their work within two years.
- The MJur programme requires you to research and write a 40,000-word thesis under the supervision of academic staff. Full-time students are expected to complete their work within one year.
CareerPostgraduate research students have the opportunity to benefit from extensive careers advice and employability support from the Law School. If you are interested in a qualifying as a lawyer, you have access to a wide range of events and activities, including regular visits from major law firms and barristers’ chambers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Birmingham Law School staff research supervision areas
- Commercial and company law(include banking, international commercial law, corporate governance)
- Comparative law(including civil law)
- Constitutional and administrative law(including legal response to terrorism)
- Criminal law and criminal justice(including international criminal law and evidence)
- Environmental law
- European Union law
- Family law
- Health and health care law
- Human rights and civil liberties
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are accepted at any time though we strongly encourage students to begin their studies at the start of the UK academic year (September).
DisciplinesInternational Law Civil & Private Law Business Law View 393 other Masters in International Law in United Kingdom
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MJur and MPhil programmes, entry usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree in law (or a subject related to the proposed area of research) or its international equivalent
- Typically, applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above in law (or a subject related to the proposed area of research) or its international equivalent
Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have will also taken into account.
If you are applying to study by distance learning, you will also be required to demonstrate that you have the time, commitment, facilities and experience to study by distance learning.
International18810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18810 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 24 months.
- UK: £4,500 full-time; £2,250 part-time
- International: £18,810 full-time; £9,405 part-time (distance learning only)
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.