Advances in computer science allow us to collect and store more data than ever before. However, making sense of all of this data is a challenge.
This Data Science Masters/MSc from the University of Birmingham has been designed to get people from a variety of academic backgrounds up to speed with the state-of-the-art in data science. You'll learn programming and data management skills so that you can collect and manipulate data, advanced techniques for analysing and revealing patterns in data, and visualisation skills so that you can turn large data sets into something decision-makers can make sense of.You will study six, 20-credit fundamental compulsory modules and a 60-credit data science project. You will come to understand the cutting-edge contemporary challenges in data science and in a 20-credit group project you will try solving them through collaboration, and then complete a substantial individual project during which you will be able to showcase what you have learned.
Having a MSc in Data Science will equip you with the right skills and knowledge to tackle immediate, real-world problems.
A dynamic, fast-moving sector that offers exciting careers and excellent rewards.The term computing covers every kind of digital technology that we use to create, store, communicate, exchange and use information. This makes it the foundation for small and large businesses to build their strategies and grow. It is also the key to making our personal lives easier and more fun: mobile phones, online shopping, social media – we owe them all and a lot more to computer science.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCore modules
- Programming in Data Science
- Storing and Managing Data
- Current Topics in Data Science
- Data Science Group Project
- Algorithms for Data Science
- Data Science Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Data Science & Big Data Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 662 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
- 2:1 Honours degree in any subject plus Grade A (or above) in A Level Mathematics or equivalent (if your first degree is not Mathematics). Please upload evidence of this within 28 days from the point of making your application. If we do not receive this by then, we may not be able to take your application further.
International25380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25380 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10260 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10260 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- UK students looking to pursue a Masters programme in the UK can apply for a non-means-tested loan from the British government via the Student Loans Company.
- A loan of up to £11,222 is available to students applying to taught and research Masters courses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.