You will join and lively and close-knit postgraduate community, taking part in a range of activities including weekly seminars and play readings, and an annual international conference organised by students for students.
You can study our Shakespeare Studies (On-Campus or by Distance Learning) at University of Birmingham full-time or part-time, and the PhD and MA by Research on campus or by distance learning. The College of Arts and Law is experienced in delivering high quality distance learning to students all over the world.
In recent years, our postgraduates have successfully entered a variety of sectors from teaching in secondary and higher education to performing arts, publishing, and museum, library and archive work. Employers that graduates have gone on to work for include National Trust, Royal Shakespeare Company, Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, Shakespeare's Globe, University of Birmingham and University of Oxford.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research in the Shakespeare Institute engages with all aspects of Renaissance Drama, on the afterlife of Shakespeare in performance, on the culture of Renaissance England and on the impact of Shakespeare on modern culture.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Literature Theatre & Dance View 363 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MRes and MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK, usually in a relevant area.
- Applicants for a PhD will also need to hold a Masters qualification at Merit level or above (or its international equivalent), usually in a relevant area.
Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases, form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
If you are applying for distance learning research programmes, you will also be required to demonstrate that you have the time, commitment, facilities and experience to study by distance learning.
International19310 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19310 GBP per year during 12 months.
National5020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5020 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/EU: £5,020 full-time; £2,510 part-time
- International: £19,310 full-time
- UK/EU: £4,500 full-time; £2,250 part-time
- International: £18,810 full-time; £9,405
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.