The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (Education) programme from University of Birmingham provides a solid grounding in practical language teaching skills, and in language learning and teaching research. You will create bespoke teaching and learning materials, and you will have the option to observe teaching in a range of schools. You will also develop strong grounding in the latest cutting-edge developments in language learning and teaching.
You will be supported in your studies to become a TESOL professional, a competent educational researcher, and an active member of the international academic and professional TESOL community.
- Approach – The programme has been designed for those who want to become language teachers but have little or no teaching experience. It takes a practical approach, and it links language teaching and education.
- Environment – The School of Education in the University of Birmingham has been ranked in the top 50 for Education in the 2020 QS World Rankings. It hosts the MOSAIC Group for Research on Multilingualism.
- Teaching and support – Modules typically provide three contact hours a week for a semester. You will have a dedicated personal tutor and a dissertation supervisor.
- Research – All tutors are actively researching language learning or teaching. Teaching is research-led. You will be supported in running a research project on your chosen topic.
Our graduates typically find work as English language teachers in schools and universities in countries around the world. Some go on to pursue a PhD or other research qualifications.
- Second Language Teaching Methodology
- Second Language Learning
- Language, Discourse and Society
- Education Observation, Evaluation and Supervision
- Curriculum Design in Global Contexts
- Citizenship, Human Rights and the Environment
- Personal and Professional Skills for Education Management
- Leadership for School Improvement
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 505 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
A 2:1 or equivalent undergraduate degree is normally required. A degree in a related discipline is a strong advantage (e.g., English language, linguistics, language teaching, education). However, applicants with other degrees or with a 2:2 will also be considered on an individual basis.
International21240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21240 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.