Chemical engineering is dynamic and evolving, and today extends far beyond its roots in oil and gas processing. It provides solutions to problems facing many sectors, such as energy supply and storage, food, fast-moving consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare.
This Advanced Chemical Engineering with Formulation programme from the University of Birmingham focuses on advanced chemical engineering topics that inform the modern process engineering industry.
The three major research areas – formulation engineering, energy, and healthcare technology – guide the programme. We explore concepts and processes that are applicable to multiple sectors, such as food, fuel, energy, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and chemical industries.
The graduates are well prepared for a career in a variety of industries and have an opportunity to capitalise on the growing global demand for chemical engineers.
The school of Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham focuses on research in three areas, answering three major questions of global importance:
- Formulation Engineering – How can we develop and produce formulated products such as food or pharmaceuticals with novel properties in a sustainable manner?
- Healthcare Technology – How can we maintain a healthy aging population?
- Energy – How can we reshape energy supply and storage in a sustainable way?
There is a great demand for chemical engineers in industry worldwide. This course gives you a professional basis for a career in a variety of industries.The Careers Network offers a range of events and support services designed to help you maximise your employability: from networking opportunities and career coaching workshops, to our effective-careers-strategy toolkit and one-to-one guidance. We also offer subject specific careers consultants and advisers for each college and a dedicated careers website for international students. Further information is below.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch Themes
- Formulation Engineering
- Healthcare Technologies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biochemistry View 80 other Masters in Chemical Engineering in United Kingdom
- You should have, or expect to obtain, a 2:1 Honours degree in a relevant subject (eg, Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with sufficient Mathematics).
International24480 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24480 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10260 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10260 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- MSc: Full-time £10,260 Part-time £5,130
- PgDip: Full-time £6,840
- MSc: Full-time £24,480
- PgDip: Full-time £16,320
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- UK students looking to pursue a Masters programme in the UK can apply for a non-means-tested loan from the British government via the Student Loans Company.
- A loan of up to £11,222 is available to students applying to taught and research Masters courses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.