Discover your Classics and Ancient Civilizations programme
The Classics and Ancient Civilizations programme of the University of Amsterdam gives you a world-class, interdisciplinary education in the ancient world. If you specialise in Classics, you will receive excellent training in classical linguistics, grounded in intertextual and narratological approaches to classical literature, while familiarising you with post-classical Greek and Latin. If you specialise in Ancient Studies, you will gain an in-depth understanding of the social, cultural and religious history of Ancient Greece, Rome and the Near East.
Partners in research
The one-year Classics and Ancient Civilizations Master's programme allows you to explore the theoretical frameworks and methodologies currently used in Classics or Ancient Studies. You will gain a thorough knowledge of the Greek and Latin languages or of themes in the field of Ancient Studies, such as Religion, Gender and Urban History.
Students are considered to be partners in research, and teaching is strongly related to the research expertise of the staff. The programme also provides training in interdisciplinary thinking for which there is an increasing demand on the job market.
After graduating with a Master’s degree in Classics and Ancient Civilizations, you will be well prepared for positions requiring in-depth knowledge of this field, or other jobs requiring a range of academic skills.
The job market
Alumni from the programme have started careers in:
- Teaching and academia
- Commercial research
- Arts management
- Cultural tourism
- Interdisciplinary Seminar: Rulers' Ideology and Representation
- Great Debates
- The City and the Empire. War, Memory and Civic Identity in Republican Rome
- From Constantine to Muhammed: Religion and Society in Late Antiquity
- Masterlanguage: Greek Epigraphy
- City Life in the Ancient World
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Ancient History General Studies & Classics View 49 other Masters in Language Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in the humanities or social sciences with a minimum of 30 ECTS (equivalent to a full-time semester of academic studies) taken in the field of Classics, Ancient Studies, Archaeology, History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient History), or a similar degree program
- You are expected to have an awareness of basic theoretical notions in Classics, Ancient Studies, and (Ancient) History
- If you plan to specialise in Classics you will need to have a Bachelor’s degree in Greek and Latin language and culture
- English language requirements
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.