The Physics and Astronomy programme of the University of Amsterdam combines a broad understanding of physics and astronomy in general with in-depth knowledge of specific physics areas.
The UvA and VU are internationally renowned for their physics and astronomy research. Among past and present professors are several winners of the Spinoza Prize - often called the Dutch Nobel Prize: Ed van den Heuvel (Astronomy, 1995), Robbert Dijkgraaf (Mathematical Physics, 2003), Michiel van der Klis (Astronomy, 2004) and Erik Verlinde (Theoretical Physics, 2011).
Extra scholarships available
For Physics and Astronomy only, we have in addition to our regular Amsterdam Science Talent Scholarships, extra scholarships available for excellent (non-Dutch) EU/EER students. The Amsterdam Physics and Astronomy Scholarship.
Joint degree programme with VU Amsterdam
Physics and Astronomy is a joint degree programme of the University of Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Courses are taught at locations of both universities. UvA and VU jointly issue a degree certificate to graduates. As a Physics and Astronomy student in Amsterdam you benefit from expertise, networks and research projects at both universities and affiliated research institutes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Emergent Energy Materials
- Quantum Optics
- Bose Einstein Condensates
- Fermi Quantum Gasses
- Mathematica for physicists
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 20 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in Netherlands
- The Master's programme Physics and Astronomy is open to: applicants with an academic Bachelor's degree in (Applied) Physics, Astronomy, or a comparable discipline and applicants with a UvA Bachelor's degree in Beta-gamma with a Physics major
- You have an overall grade point average (GPA) equivalent to at least: 3.0 (American system), 2.1 (a second class upper/division one degree in the British system), C (ECTS-system)
- English language proficiency
International15110 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15110 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.