The general learning objectives of Sound in New Media from Aalto University are the following core competences, which the students will develop during their studies:
- project management skills,
- design skills,
- transdisciplinary and teamwork skills,
- musical competence and
- creative use of software
During your studies, you can specialise according to your personal skills and motivation. Your future careers can relate to the various fields of sound and music design both in private industries and public sector (academia, museums etc.), including game audio and music, sonic interaction design, sound design for animation and sound in media art. Aalto University supports entrepreneurship in various ways, and many graduates work as entrepreneurs.
Across the wide range of positions, Sound in New Media graduates are independent professionals who have the capacity to lead and manage the development of their field internationally.
- Research Skills for New Media
- Advanced Information Retrieval
- Workshops and Studio Facilities
- Personal Study Plan HOPS
- Master’s Thesis Seminar
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Management Media Studies & Mass Media View 12 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Aalto University and/or in Finland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Scanned colour copy of the original Bachelor’s degree certificate
- Scanned colour copy of the original official transcript of study records.
- If you have any other higher education degrees you wish to be taken into consideration in admissions, scanned colour copies of degree certificate and official transcript of records. If documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, scanned colour copies of authorised translations are required as well.
- Copy of a valid passport or an official government-issued identification card with photo and information on citizenship.
- Portfolio (electronic)
- Demonstrating proficiency in English
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.