The Language and Linguistics, Arabic Semitic Languages program from Lund University offers training that combines a breadth in linguistics with a specialisation in Arabic. The Arabic language specialisation focuses on the structure and use of Standard Arabic. It offers the students an opportunity to engage in advanced study of the rich and multi-faceted Arabic literature, from pre-Islamic poetry to medieval scientific and philosophical works to modern texts. By way of guided readings and content analysis of primary-source texts, students understanding of the language and the ability to identify and handle advanced problems of interpretation are increased.
The students will also be introduced to current international research within the field of Arabic studies. Once they have successfully completed the programme, they will have a solid competence in Arabic, including good communication skills.
With a Master´s degree in Language and Linguistics, you are attractive for employers looking for a highly qualified individual with expert knowledge in communication in general, and in language in particular. An international MA in Language and Linguistics also provides you with the academic background you need in order to apply for doctoral studies in languages and linguistics.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Compulsory courses common to all specialisations: Philosophy of Science for Linguists, Fundamental Linguistic Methods;
- Compulsory courses for each specialisation, and a Master’s degree thesis;
- Elective courses, to be selected from a list available from the programme coordinator.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
You should apply mid-October to 15 January for studies starting in the autumn semester
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 33 other Masters in Linguistics in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major in Arabic (corresponding to a Swedish major with 120 credits in the subject).
- A Bachelor degree thesis and/or other independently written academic papers within this subject. The word count for these written samples of work should be between 6000 and 8000 words in total, or longer if the BA thesis itself is longer (excluding the references and possible appendices).
- English 6/English Course B.
International10703 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21407 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
Full programme/course tuition fee: SEK 220 000
Living costs for Lund
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.