The Applied Petroleum Geoscience programme from Heriot-Watt University Dubai mainly focuses on exploration petroleum geoscience, but it is closely linked with other MSc degrees and research groups in petroleum engineering and reservoir geology at the GeoEnergy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University. The degree is also applicable to non-petroleum subsurface geoscience subjects, such as CO2 storage and groundwater flow.
Past students on the Applied Petroleum Geoscience MSc have gone into further research (PhD degrees in the UK and overseas). Others have gone on to work in geoscience departments of major Oil and Gas companies as well as industry service organisations, contractors and small local companies. Companies who have employed our past students include Shell and Petroceltic here in the UK, and a number of other companies worldwide including Tullow, GNPC, and Total.
Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3) and the Energy Institute (EI).
- Formation Evaluation
- Petroleum Basins
- Petroleum Systems
- Reservoir Sedimentology
- Applied Petroleum Geophysics
- Geomechanics and Flow Mechanics
- Operations, Appraisal and Development
- Play and Prospect Evaluation
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Most students apply 6–10 months in advance of their chosen intake. We can accept applications up until 3 weeks before the start of each intake
DisciplinesSoil Science Geology Mining, Oil & Gas
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Heriot-Watt University Dubai and/or in United Arab Emirates, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A good honours or BSc degree in a relevant Geoscience discipline such as Geology or Geophysics from a UK or Overseas University. We look specifically for proven ability in basic geology or petroleum geology courses, as well as credits in maths courses. Parts of the courses listed above require higher or university level mathematics backgrounds.
- In addition to the academic qualifications, motivation, industrial experience and personality are taken into consideration.
International1280 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1280 GBP per module during 36 months.
National1280 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1280 GBP per module during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.