The Music Performance, Western Classical Music master's programme offered by University of Agder also has a theoretical component where you acquire knowledge about the field of music, and learn to relate this theoretical knowledge to practical performance of music.
- The knowledge and skills you learn in the course, gives you a solid foundation to engage in musical innovation and communicate about and through music.
What do you learn?
- You will develop technical skills as a musician and instrumentalist at a high professional level.
- You will acquire further understanding about the relations between music theory, music history and music performance.
- You develop an academic and professional basis which is crucial to reflection, creativity and innovation in the field of music.
- You will get broad knowledge on how to carry out advanced tasks and projects in the field of music.
- The program provides a comprehensive introduction to the musicological disciplines and how to facilitate research on your own music.
Upon completed course you will earn a master's degree in music performance. The program qualifies to work as a professional musician, as well as for creative and artistic work in the arts and cultural sector. It is a good starting point for a musical career. Completed master's degree may qualify to attend studies on a higher level, such as the PhD program at the University of Agder.
- Classical Music theoretical Master's Thesis
- Classical music performance based Master's Thesis
- Individual performance and ensemble
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 3 other Masters in Music Performance in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- General admission criteria to master’s programmes are given in Regulations concerning Requirements for the Master’s Degrees, established by the Ministry of Education and Research. The general requirement is completed bachelor’s degree, cand.mag.- degree, or other degree or vocational education with a scope of minimum 3 years’ duration.
- Academic basis: passed and completed major subject in music performance or equivalent with no less than 80 credits.
- Ranking of applicants
- Applicants are ranked based on a performance test which includes the following parts: a) Performance test. If passed, the performance test gives from 10 to 20 credits. Applicants with less than 10 credits have not passed the performance test. The performance test accounts for 80 % of the total number of credits.b) Interview, which gives from 10 to 20 credits. The interview accounts for 20 % of the total number of credits.
- Your musical skills are tested through an audition.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
There are no tuition fees at the University of Agder. Exchange students are also exempt from the semester fee.
Living costs for Kristiansand
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.