The MA Degree in International Relations and Cultural Diplomacy is a 3 semesters’ program offered by Furtwangen University (HFU) in partnership with the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy.
The program provides a foundation in International Relations and Cultural Diplomacy, using a historical and case study approach in the framework of international relations theory and political science. The degree focuses on several academic disciplines related to International Relations, Global Politics and Global Governance, with a particular emphasis on Cultural Diplomacy and its historical and contemporary application in the public sector, private sector and civil society. The program addresses contemporary international issues, with classroom seminars and lectures, as well as educational & cultural events, conferences, professional trainings, tours, visits and meetings with foreign officials, which are further incorporated into the curriculum. Students will meet with leading experts working in international organizations, embassies, and academic institutions, and will engage with specialists in the areas of International Relations, Global Governance, Communication, Politics, Human Rights, Culture, Peace Building, Multilateral Diplomacy, Conflict Resolution, and Development.
The program provides students with practical experience for both academic and professional development, preparing students for careers in diverse fields, such as international relations, the humanities, politics, Culture, foreign policy and international economics. The international environment of the Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies offers students a unique opportunity to interact with leading experts and academics at a wide variety of international organizations and research centers. This exceptional learning environment leads to original research and independent study opportunities. On a practical level, it allows students to create a solid professional network and form a concrete base for future academic and professional career choices, preparing students for engagement in the international arena, civil society, politics, governmental organizations and international economic organizations, as well as the private sector.
Further information about the program is found under: http://www.ccds-berlin.de/index.php?en_ma_ircd_fw_1
3 Key Objectives of the Programs
- Knowledge in Cultural Diplomacy & Preparation for the Future Evolution of the Field - To educate students about Cultural Diplomacy within the context of the political, economic, and cultural dimensions. In addition, the CCDS aims to cultivate individual thought and reflection on new issues surrounding the rapidly developing field of Cultural Diplomacy.
- Analysis of Innovative Governance Strategies - To enable students to analyze innovative governance strategies, such as soft and smart power strategies, new theories of interdependence all within the framework of the contemporary international relations discourse.
- Professional Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Relationships - To equip students with the relevant skill sets, knowledge, professional experience and professional relationships, so that they will be able to acquire a job immediately upon completion of the degree. One of the main goals of the CCDS is to enable students to acquire job opportunities and develop their careers in institutions such as the UN, EU, African Union, national governments, national parliaments, international corporations and international NGOs.
The Master’s Degree is awarded by the Furtwangen University (HFU), which is recognized as a fully German accredited institution of higher education with the right to award university degrees. CStudents will earn a total of 90 ECTS credits upon completion. this MA of 90 ECTS is sufficient for a Master’s program in terms of post-studies (PhD) or work placement in Germany.
- The program consists of 90 ECTS credits in total and has duration of two study semesters, a Professional Development Training Program, designed individually for each student and a Thesis to be submitted towards the completion of the program. The Study program is conducted fully in Berlin
- The programs provide students with expertise in at least two distinct academic fields (such as cultural diplomacy & International Relations), which will give them a significantly greater number of career options against students who simply have an expertise in only one field, such as International Relations only.
- The programs consist of a unique structure that provide students with the opportunity to study in the university and at the same time to gain practical experience, by having the opportunity to participate in and support the activities of an NGO (the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy (including its major international conferences).
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Applications are being processed on a rolling base, as enrolment to the programs are possible towards Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer start, each year
DisciplinesEconomics International Relations Political Science View 38 other Masters in International Relations in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at ICD Academy for Cultural Diplomacy and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Individuals studying for an MA will represent a diverse range of cultural and academic backgrounds. Candidates will include recent BA graduates as well as young professionals who combine strong academic backgrounds with significant work experience.
- Individuals are required to hold a BA degree (or equivalent Degree) of a minimum of 3 years of studies, as degrees from across the world and from any field are acceptable.
** To be eligible to the 90 ECS MA program, the BA studies must have a total of minimum of 210 ECTS or 420 UK Credits (normally 4 years BA studies), or BA degree of 180 ECTS credits only or 360 UK Credits only (normally 3 years Studies), with additional relevant professional experience of one year following their graduation and/or additional academic experience/extra curriculum Credit Points of min. 30 ECTS. Once these conditions have not been fulfilled, then the regular track of the 2 years program (4 semesters) can be considered.
International6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
EU/EEA6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
The Program´s tuition fee is 9,000 Euros, paid in 2 instalments (5,175 Euros upon acceptance to the program and of 3,825 Euros prior to the second semester.
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Scholarships, equalling up to 10% deduction of tuition costs are available for students based on educational excellence and financial need. Although each scholarship request will be evaluated on an individual basis, students are expected to have an above-average grade point of 4.5 (of 5.0) in order to qualify for a grant and then to prove financial need.
Students are welcome to search for scholarships, such as from governments, or other Institutions. A number of students have been able to acquire funding from their government, company or from relevant foundations. We do not have any specific sponsor to which we can refer students. Please note that our Programs are not sponsored by DAAD or supported by BAföG
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.