Students learn about the counseling profession and develop therapeutic skills through practical experience, knowledge, and personal reflection.
The professional counseling program believes that well-prepared counselors are involved and committed to a process of intentional growth-promoting pro-social autonomy, lifelong learning, and ethical behavior. These ideals are fostered within a dynamic and multi-modal learning setting in which diversity, critical thinking, self-in-context, scholarship, praxis, and the creation and integration of knowledge are celebrated.
The Professional Counseling (School Counseling Concentration) program from Texas State University will maintain the highest standards of counselor education which will continue to garner local, national, and international recognition in providing excellence in academic and clinical preparation for the development of counseling professionals.
The professional counseling program is designed to provide the training and course work graduates need to become certified as Texas school counselors, Texas licensed professional counselors, or Texas licensed marriage and family therapists. The Institute for Play Therapy offers additional specialized training in play therapy, sandtray therapy, and animal-assisted counseling that could assist counselors in becoming Registered Play Therapists or certified in animal-assisted counseling.
- Assessment in Counseling
- Theories of Counseling and Personality
- Counseling Diverse Populations
- Advanced Counselor Ethics
- Basic Counseling Skills and Abnormal Behavior
- Career Counseling
- Dynamics & Processes in Group Counseling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology School Counselling View 1186 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- official GRE (general test only) required with competitive scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections
- informed consent form
- statement of purpose
- three forms of recommendation (not general reference letters)
International22950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit during 24 months.
National22950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State10710 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 357 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for San Marcos
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.