- Through a broad interdisciplinary approach, gain an understanding of the economics, law, politics and psychology of sustainability, as well as the geography and demographics of those affected.
- Prepare for a career as a professional researcher in either academic or non-academic environments, with core training in interdisciplinary social scientific philosophy, epistemology, methodology and analysis.
- Apply concepts and skills developed to specific, contemporary topics of enquiry in sustainable futures.
- Study at the Penryn Campus in Cornwall: a living laboratory with a diverse range of marine and terrestrial habitats, a wealth of natural resources, and creative and resilient communities.
The Sustainable Futures programme at The University of Exeter is designed to prepare you for a career as a professional researcher in either academic or non-academic environments. The programme sets the core training in inter-disciplinary social scientific philosophy, epistemology, methodology and analysis within a contemporary context, allowing you to apply the wider concepts and skills introduced in the broader social scientific setting to specific topics of inquiry in environment and energy.
The University of Exeter has an excellent reputation with graduate recruiters and our students and graduates compete very successfully in the employment market. We have a dedicated, award-winning Careers Service offering careers training, events, advice and mentoring to ensure you have the tools you need to succeed in finding employment in your chosen field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Interdisciplinary Research Design
- Dissertation in Sustainable Futures
- Contemporary Debates in Sustainable Futures
- Transdisciplinary Methods for Sustainability Science
- Literature Review in Life and Environmental Sciences
- Statistical Modelling
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Whilst we don’t have a formal deadline for application, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. We close to applications wishing to join us for study in 2022/2023 on Friday 16 September. We advise international applicants to submit a complete application by mid-July.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Sustainable Energy Environmental Sciences View 326 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- All applicants are considered individually on merit although we usually require a 2:1 honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK fees per year:
- £12,000 full-time; £6,000 part-time
- £23,000 full-time; £11,500 part-time
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.