- Advanced and critical study of the theory and politics of gender in the Middle East and Islamicate world, with an emphasis on connecting the language of academia with lived lives
- Besides the in-depth knowledge of gender issues in the region, our students particularly appreciate the connections our innovative teaching makes with creativity and activism
- Get involved in a variety of IAIS activities and join our vibrant and creative research community. Our Postgraduate students in gender studies play an active role in various research centres, including Islamic Studies, Palestine, Gulf and Kurdish Studies
- Your knowledge and expertise in complex political and cultural issues relating to gender and the Middle East will be valued by public and private sector employers and open doors for further academic study
Graduates from this Gender Studies (Middle East and Islamic World) programme at The University of Exeter may find professional employment in a wide range of sectors both in the UK and internationally. A comprehensive background in Islamic Studies is relevant to careers in:
- academia and education
- international agencies such as the United Nations or the European Union
- international development
- print and broadcast media
- private sector companies with interests in Islamic countries
- business and risk analysts
The academic skills developed on the MA Middle East Studies will enable to you to pursue doctoral study. The Institute has an international profile for our pioneering regional focus on the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula and expertise in Islamic Studies providing an ideal place in which to undertake an MPhil/PhD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Gender and Politics in the Middle East
- Gender, Sexuality and Violence in Palestine/Israel
- Theorising the Middle East
- Dissertation skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Whilst we don’t have a formal deadline for application, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. We close to applications wishing to join us for study in 2022/2023 on Friday 16 September. We advise international applicants to submit a complete application by mid-July.
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Religious Studies & Theology Islamic Studies View 22 other Masters in Islamic Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- For admission to the programme we would normally expect that you hold a 2:1 Honours degree (or equivalent) in a social sciences or humanities discipline.
- While we normally only accept applicants who meet this criteria, if you have a high 2:2 or equivalent, are coming from a different academic background which is equivalent to degree level, or have relevant work experience, we would welcome your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11000 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK fees per year:
£5,500 part-timeInternational fees per year:
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.