On this course, you'll learn translation skills and get the technological and theoretical knowledge you'll need for a successful career. You can study around your existing professional and personal commitments by choosing between full-time, part-time, campus-based and distance learning options.
The flexible nature of this course means that you can work towards one of the following exit awards, depending on the number of credits and length of your study:
- MA in Translation Studies (180 credits)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Translation Studies (120) credits
- Postgraduate Certificate in Translation Studies (60) credits
When you graduate, you'll be qualified to work as a translator in the UK or abroad, or to pursue further studies, such as a PhD.
What you’ll experience
- Specialise in translation between English and your choice of language, from Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian or Spanish
- Learn the basics of staff, agency and freelance translation work
- Choose from topics including Translation Technologies and Subtitling, Technical Communication and Intercultural Communication
- Learn through a combination of workshops (either on campus or via distance learning), tutorials and virtual learning, including email, Skype and telephone communication with tutors
- Combine practice and theory to get you ready for the workplace
- Get the chance to complete a work placement report (or confirmation of prior learning) through the Professional Portfolio option
- Graduate with a professional qualification
Work experience and career planning
Career options when you graduate include:
- Translation project management
- Freelance Translation
- Further research
Other graduates have continued their studies to PhD level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
We'll also be available to help, advise and support you for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
Teaching and programme assessment
Teaching methods on this course include:
- 1 to 1 tutorials
- online learning materials
- blended learning
You’ll be assessed through:
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dissertation/Major Project
- Critical approaches to specialised translation
- Intercultural communication
- Professional aspects of translation
- Professional portfolio
- Technical communication
- Translation project
- Translation technologies
Please see our website for our latest module information
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- September 2022
- January 2023
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting View 12 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
A minimum of a second-class honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. Applicants whose main language is English require advanced knowledge of at least one other language (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian or Spanish). Applicants may be subject to assessment if their language competency is not evidenced by their qualifications/application.English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0 with no component score below 6.5.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.