The Smart Energy and the Built Environment program at University College London (UCL) is developed to provide knowledge on the value of smart energy in the built environment and the wider system. It is also designed to provide the skills to take on the challenges we face. The programme brings together both physical and social perspectives of energy demand and supply. This will help you understand how the sociotechnical system of local energy can be designed and commissioned to deliver effective policies and economic priorities. You will learn how key components of a smart energy system work, integrate and interact with energy policy and business opportunities, including building energy efficiency, renewable energy, decentralisation, the Internet of Things (IoT), storage and energy market design.
There has been significant global investment into smart energy systems, low carbon technologies, novel strategies to manage energy demand, and the integration generation and storage into the fabric of the built environment. These are supported by rapid advancements in digital technologies that are set to making systems more connected, intelligent and reliable. To design and commission these systems highly skilled specialists are required, with a deep understanding of the nature of energy demand in the built environment.
Smart Energy in the Built Environment MSc is designed to equip you with a variety of necessary skills for a career in:
- Energy consultancies
- Public sector
- Energy start-ups
- Institutions which value expertise in energy and the built environment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Data Analytics in the Smart Built Environment
- Social Value and New Energy Business Models
- Systems Thinking and System Dynamics
- Eco-innovation and Sustainable Entrepreneurship
- UK Energy and Environment Policy and Law
- Industrial Symbiosis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Energy & Power Engineering Sustainable Energy View 100 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally a minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (for example physics, engineering, mathematics, geography, psychology, social science, architecture, planning or economics) or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard is required.
- Applicants with a different degree discipline but a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience are welcome to apply and will be assessed on an individual basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International28500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14300 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £7,150 (PT)
- Overseas: £14,250 (PT)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.