This Communication Technology and Entrepreneurship course from Cardiff University aims to provide you with key, advanced level knowledge and skills that will allow you to succeed in the rapidly growing wireless and microwave communication industry. You will also develop research skills and other related abilities, enhancing your general engineering competency, employability, and providing you with an excellent platform for career development, whether that be within industry or academic research.
In addition, modules delivered by Cardiff University’s internationally recognised Business School will allow you the opportunity to gain valuable skills in entrepreneurship and an insight into what’s involved in starting your own business.
More specifically, the programme aims to equip you with:
- Expertise in new and evolving areas, such as advanced microwave computer aided design and communication systems engineering.
- Laboratory time and advanced engineering management alongside modules in radio frequency engineering, advanced industry standard microwave computer aided design (CAD) tools, fabrication and testing, advanced communication systems, advanced communication networks and non-linear RF designs and concepts.
- Skills in entrepreneurship across a variety of business and technology disciplines complemented by the specialist modules taught by Cardiff Business School.
- Real world technology product development experience, learn best practices and build an exceptional network from seasoned and successful entrepreneurs.
- If you have software skills, you will have the opportunity to apply to the Alacrity Foundation to take part in their “boot camp”. This 12 month programme provides graduates with practical business training, software skills & mentorship so they can develop as entrepreneurs and launch their own UK based technology companies.
The distinctive features of this course include:
- The opportunity to learn in a research-led teaching institution taught by staff in one of the highest ranked university units in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
- MSc teaching complemented by guest lectures given by industrial professionals.
- A unique opportunity to participate in the Alacrity Foundation Programme.
- A programme partially based on a successful and well-established course - Wireless and Microwave Communication Engineering (MSc).
- Specialist modules taught by the Cardiff Business School.
Careers and placements
Career prospects are generally excellent with graduating students following paths either into research, business or related industry. After graduating, a number of students start their own businesses.
In terms of research, Cardiff University has many electrical, electronic and microwave related research areas that require PhD students if you wish to undertake further postgraduate study.
Applicants to the MSc programme will have the opportunity to make an additional application to the Alacrity Foundation. If successful, the five-month industrial project will be based within the Foundation in Newport and attract a tax-free stipend of £13,800 from month nine of their MSc programme.
Participants will then be required to commit to the Alacrity programme for an additional fifteen months.
- Innovation Management
- Entrepreneurial Marketing
- Software Tools and Simulation
- RF Circuits Design and CAD
- Research Case Study
- Advanced Communication Systems
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEntrepreneurship Innovation Management General Engineering & Technology View 151 other Masters in Innovation Management in United Kingdom
- A lower second class honours degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering, Communication Engineering, Communicaton Technology, Wireless Engineering or a similar field from a good UK university or an equivalent international degree qualification.
- Entry to courses in Engineering will be subject to the University requirements for English language.
International21950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21950 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.