Students have to complete an interdisciplinary thesis in this research-based programme.
Equipped with extensive knowledge, strong analytical skills, some language competency, and the experience of an international community, graduates proceed to positions in international organisations, business, and government or to further research and academic careers.
The Advanced International Studies programme at The Diplomatic Academy of Vienna - Vienna School of International Studies is a joint Master’s degree of the School of International Studies and the University of Vienna.
In the first MAIS year a study trip to Brussels offers students the opportunity to examine European institutions at first hand.
During the second MAIS year there is a study trip to the countries of the Western Balkans. Additional study trips (for example to Ukraine/Poland) are offered to all programmes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In the first year of the Master of Advanced International Studies students attend classes in the fields of political science, international relations, economics and international economic relations, contemporary history, as well as international and European law.
- The student’s interests, preferences and prior knowledge are taken into account in individual student counselling sessions. The knowledge previously acquired in undergraduate programmes is complemented and supplemented, and the necessary basis for the analysis of specific topic areas in the MAIS2 year is created.
- In the second MAIS year students apply the knowledge acquired during the MAIS1 year in specialised courses and seminars to analyse problems and solve case studies. Methodological and interdisciplinary seminars, presented by prominent personalities from politics and science, prepare students for writing their Master’s thesis.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Early decision: 15 January
- Regular decision: 1 March
DisciplinesEconomics International Relations International Law View 6 other Masters in International Law in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
In order to be eligible for admission to the MAIS programme candidates must have:
- a university degree in any discipline (minimum 180 ECTS)
- an excellent command of English
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14300 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA14300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14300 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Financial assistance in the form of student loans and scholarships is available to specific target groups, depending on the number of sponsorships received. Additionally, there is a limited number of partial tuition waivers granted by the DA to students of all nationalities based solely on academic performance.
Herbert Cordt - Scholarship for Excellence
This Scholarship supports talented young women who come from Eastern or South-Eastern Europe and are admitted to the Vienna School of International Studies for a graduate programme in international studies.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.