Specialize in probability and statistics or statistics and machine learning with Mathematics of Randomness at Institut Polytechnique de Paris.
Largely devoted to fundamental knowledge and skills, the program also considers constraints due to applied considerations. On graduating, most students embark on an academic or industrial PhD, while others directly begin a career in industry.
Courses are split into two specializations: probability and statistics with a focus on mathematical research or statistics and machine learning oriented toward research and job opportunities in private companies. During the second semester, students will deliver a Master’s thesis based on the analysis of several research papers, under the supervision of a professor from the Master’s program. This thesis can be replaced by an internship in a firm or a research laboratory.
The first year is dedicated to the fundamentals in the main fields of either pure mathematics (algebra, geometrics; analysis...) or applied mathematics (modelling, optimization, control systems, statistics, scientific calculations) with a good balance between theory and practice. The first year course is taught in French. An internship at a laboratory or company enables students to practice the therorical knowledge and expertise acquired throughout the year.Students interested early on by research are advised to apply for a PhD Track in this field (combined Master and PhD). It enables a personalized master program, early immersion in research labs and a progressive development of the thesis studies.
This program equips students to complete a PhD or build a research or industry career in:
- Various fields of application where randomness is analyzed, processed and summarized to make predictions and decisions
- Sectors such as insurance, banking, pharmaceutical laboratories, energy, climate, transport, aeronautics, communication and signaling
See content details on our program webpage
- Understand, master and use different modern mathematical tools for modelling randomness and analyzing and treating data
Perform predictions and take decisions
- Internship or Master's thesis
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Bachelor degree in sciences
- A good knowledge in pure mathematics or applied mathematics especially in analysis, algebra, probability or statistics and mastering a programming tool are required
- French: B1 level
- Completion of the first year of Master in mathematics at Institut Polytechnique de Paris or equivalent in France (engineering school) or abroad.
- English B2 level
International3770 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3770 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Palaiseau
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.