Optical Networks and Photonic Systems at Institut Polytechnique de Paris offers students the opportunity to design optical communication systems suited to given constraints and required applications. It also covers design cross-layer optical network architectures from physical to higher network layers.
Students will learn how to select optical components according to their performance for current and future solutions. They will then design the photonic devices needed for optical data processing and transport in future networks. The first semester encompasses core courses given by renowned faculty members. During the second semester, students will complete an internship to gain practical experience.
During the first year dedicated to Electrical enginnering for Communications, the student will choose a major in Electrical and Optical Engineering that allows students to develop original thinking and the ability to anticipate. The program is based on multidisciplinary application fields in both electronics and optics. It encompasses core training addressing fundamental aspects.
Students interested early on by research are advised to apply for a PhD Track in this field (combined Master and PhD ). It enables a personalized master program, early immersion in research labs and a progressive development of the thesis studies.
After obtaining their Master’s degree, students will be well equipped for a career in research or industry:
- A strong need for expertise in optical solutions in the information technology industry and academic research institutes
- A wide range of applications in various industry sectors including health, bioscience, energy, fabrication technologies and the environment
- Digital Information Processing
- Optical Networks
- Optoelectronic Devices
- Photonic Systems Towards Other Applications
- Error-Correcting Codes and Coded Modulations Applied to Optical Communications
- Future Trends in Optical Networks
- Advanced and Next-Generation Optical Transmission Systems
- Digital Communications
- Communication Networks
- Physics of Optoelectronic Devices
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Year 1: 60 ECTS
- Year 2: 60 ECTS
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Physics General Engineering & Technology View 61 other Masters in Physics in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Good background in applied mathematics and knowledge of electronics and optics
Certificate of English level (IELTS ≥ 6, TOEIC ≥ 785, CECRL ≥ B2)
Completion of the first year of a Master in Electrical Engineering at Institut Polytechnique de Paris or equivalent in France or abroad
- Physics: electromagnetism, optics, quantum physics, signal processing
- Math: Fourier analysis, probability and statistics
- Introduction to digital communications: modulation BPSK and threshold detector
- Introduction to statistics: random variable and random stationary process
- English: Certificate demonstrating B2 English level (compulsory for non-English speakers)
International3770 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3770 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Palaiseau
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.