The Master of Arts in Texts, Technologies and Literature at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) welcomes students with undergraduate majors in such areas as American Studies, Media Studies, Communication Studies, Modern Languages and Literature, and Gender and Women’s Studies, as well as English.
It is designed to accommodate students with a variety of interests and career paths, including those who are considering an academic career in English, whether in Rhetoric and Composition, Communication and Media Studies, or Literature; those interested in pursuing a Ph.D. (for example, in UMBC’s Language, Literacy, and Culture Ph.D. program or the Ph.D. in English at Morgan State University); high school teachers looking for advanced training; and those entering communications, editorial, and/or digital media professions.
Students may specialize in the study of print-based or multi-modal texts of particular periods or genres; rhetoric, communication, and composition; or language use and production in various settings.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Students in the program will:
- explore a range of literatures in English and a variety of textual forms, media and practices in relation to their cultural contexts
- develop advanced skills in reading, analyzing, and writing about texts, from the lyric poem to digital work in multi-media, and
- have the opportunity to study language in use in various settings, or to specialize in the study of communication or the teaching of composition.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEthnic Studies Engineering Management Literature View 146 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- GRE General Test required (Waived for UMBC English Majors)
- Bachelor’s degree in majors such as: English; American, Communication, Gender, or Media Studies; or Modern Lang&Lit.
- Three letters of recommendation are required, in addition to a statement of purpose, from all applicants.
- A Writing Sample is required. An academic essay is preferred but personal and other types of essays are acceptable. No length requirement.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23580 USD per year during 12 months.
National23580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23580 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14814 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14814 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.