In the Theology and Religious Studies - Interreligious Studies programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam you will be prepared for a professional career within or outside religious institutions. Each specialization focuses on their own field.
Globalisation has given rise to an even greater need for religious dialogue in all areas of society, from politics and business to education and daily life. Increasing mobility, changing ways of communication and flows of migrants have all made the world a smaller place – and the need for social cohesion greater than ever. This track will give you the knowledge and skills you need to help build bridges between people from different faith traditions and so contribute to that improved social cohesion. If you want to become part of that, this track might be for you.
On graduation, you will have the skills you need to become an interfaith leader in our increasingly multi-religious world. You will be able to critically analyse different theological, philosophical and ideological perspectives at the interface of different religions. You will have acquired inter-religious literacy through your participation in various dialogue activities.
Promotion alumni sessions Master’s day
During the Master’s day, you can also meet our (international) alumni during several workshops. In these sessions they will tell you more about career opportunities after finishing your Master’s degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Building Interreligious Relations
- Comparative Ethics
- Master Seminar
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- EU/EEA or Dutch students: 1 June
- Non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 June
- Students who need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 April.
DisciplinesHistory Religious Studies & Theology View 24 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In order to gain admission to one of our Master’s programmes, you will need to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent.
- Students with a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology or Religious Studies from a university abroad will only be admitted following an assessment of their degree by the admissions board.
- Students with Bachelor’s degrees in other disciplines are also welcome to apply, provided that the degree obtained is from a research-oriented university.
International16630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16630 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.