If you’re interested in pursuing a Master’s degree in Social and Cultural Anthropology at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, but do not yet fully meet the entry requirements, you can follow this pre-Master’s programme to get you up to speed.
Social and Cultural Anthropology is all about studying what makes us human. You’ll explore people's lives across time and space. The programme looks at people and cultures from just about any angle you can imagine. If you’re curious about us humans, then this pre-Master’s is the perfect path to more carefully analyse the human condition: yesterday, today and tomorrow.
What you'll study
You’ll start the pre-Master’s programme with an introductory course, during which you’ll learn about the core themes in anthropology. This course is followed by an introduction to qualitative and quantitative methods in the social sciences. You’ll also take a short course in academic writing, learn about the specific methods anthropologists use, and explore the main challenges of the 21st century and how anthropologists look at them. In the last month of the programme, you’ll learn how to write a research proposal.
After successfully completing the Social and Cultural Anthropology pre-Master’s, you can be admitted to the Master’s programme.
- Premaster Core Themes in Anthropology
- Premaster Social Research Methodology
- Premaster Tutorial Academic Writing Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Pre-Master Challenges of the 21st Century
- Premaster Research Project Social and Cultural Antropology
- Premaster Ethnographic Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Ethnic Studies View 14 other programmes in Ethnic Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In order to enter the pre-Master’s programme with a HBO Bachelor’s degree, you have to pass the premaster’s assessment.
- In order to start with pre-Master’s programme, you must first succeed for the premasterassessment. The premasterassessment of the Faculty of Social Sciences consists of the following components:
- English language competence
- Arithmetic competence (statistics)
- Cognitive capacities
International1105 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1105 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA1105 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1105 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
For a premaster programme that encompasses no more than 30 EC, you will have to pay a premaster fee of €1.105 (for both EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA students).
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.