Launched in 1993 and currently organized jointly by the UPF Department of Economics and Business and Barcelona School of Economics , the UPF PhD Program attracts students of exceptional talent and provides a strong foundation, a stimulating environment, and worldwide placement in the most prestigious institutions, research centers, and universities.
The PhD Track Program is Year 1 of the UPF PhD. Upon completion of the PhD Track Program, graduates are awarded the BSE Master's Degree in Economics and Finance and proceed to Year 2 of the PhD (detailed in the schedule below).
Study with accomplished research faculty
Courses in the PhD Track Program are designed and taught by Barcelona School of Economics Affiliated Professors at the UPF Department of Economics and Business and the Center for Research on International Economics (CREI), two of Europe's top research groups.
Among them are recipients of ERC Grants and other competitive international funding, authors of publications in top journals, and fellows of the Econometric Society and NBER, to name just a few of their accomplishments. They will be your teachers, your mentors, your thesis supervisors, and down the road, your colleagues.
Here is a brief profile of the classmates that a Master's student in the BSE Class of 2022 will meet this year:
- Most students have undergraduate degrees in Economics or Finance. Others come from Engineering, Mathematics, or other backgrounds.
- Most of the students has work experience before joining BSE, but there are other students who were accepted to pursue the Master's programs immediately after obtaining their undergraduate degrees.
- All continents are represented in the Class of 2022. This year, students come from 49 different countries, with 86% of students coming from outside of Spain and 44% of students coming from outside Europe.
All Barcelona School of Economics Master's degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities and within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
The Barcelona School of Economics has been distinguished as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence in every edition of the program (2012-15; 2016-19; 2020-23)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
COURSEWORK IN MACRO, MICRO, AND ECONOMETRICS
In the first term, students are required to take the following brush-up courses:
- Probability and Statistics
- Calculus and Linear Algebra or Advanced Mathematics
Students with little or no knowledge of STATA will be offered a brushup course on this topic.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Econometrics Statistics View 11 other Masters in Statistics in Spain
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- GRE General Test
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
National16500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR for the full programme during 9 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Types of financial aid that may be offered to students include:
- Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
- A limited number of fully-funded scholarships
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates who have an outstanding academic record. While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply before January 15.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.