We explore different approaches to the teaching and learning of English and study the close relationship between language teaching theory and practice.
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) programme offered by the University of Birmingham encourages you to use the concepts and theories that you encounter during your course of study in your own classroom. We aim to equip students with the linguistic and pedagogic knowledge, the research and analytic skills, and the confidence necessary to begin a career in English language teaching.
The University's Careers Network provides expert guidance and activities especially for postgraduates, which will help you achieve your career goals. The College of Arts and Law also has a dedicated careers and employability team who offer tailored advice and a programme of College-specific careers events.
You will be encouraged to make the most of your postgraduate experience and will have the opportunity to:
- Receive one-to-one careers advice, including guidance on your job applications, writing your CV and improving your interview technique, whether you are looking for a career inside or outside of academia
- Meet employers face-to-face at on-campus recruitment fairs and employer presentations
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Syllabus Design & Language Teaching
- Second Language Learning and Teaching
- Teaching and Learning Grammar and Vocabulary
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- Bilingualism and Multilingualism in the TESOL Classroom
- Business Discourse and Communication
- Corpus Assisted Language Learning
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 570 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We usually require an upper second-class Honours degree, or equivalent, in TEFL/TESL or TESOL, English Language or another relevant subject (e.g. Linguistics, Translation Studies). Appropriate work experience will also be taken into consideration.
- This programme is designed for those with less than one year’s language teaching experience. More experienced language teachers will benefit from our MA Applied Linguistics with TESOL programme.
- Academic requirements: We accept a range of qualifications from different countries - use our handy guide below to see what qualifications we accept from your country.
International20160 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20160 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- £4,750 /year part-time UK students
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.