The Counseling - Clinical Mental Health program from Portland State University is organized around core foundation courses, an intensive on-campus practicum training clinic experience, interpersonal growth experiences, advanced theory and practice courses, and a culminating half-time field internship placement.
The program consists of 90 graduate credits designed to meet CACREP national accreditation standards for professional counselors and the academic degree requirements to become licensed as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Oregon and other states.
Provide diagnostic and intervention services to a wide variety of clients seeking personal and mental health counseling in the following settings:
- Public mental health agencies
- Public and private community counseling agencies
- Employee assistance programs
- Day treatment and inpatient hospital setting
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Private practice
- Group practice
- Community colleges and universities
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Crisis Assessment and Intervention
- Consultation: Theory and Practice
- Grief and Loss
- Theories and Interventions
- Advanced Therapeutic Strategies
- Systemic Perspectives on Human Sexuality
- Couples, Marriage, and Family Counseling
- Family Therapy or Coun 578 Couples Therapy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Counselling Psychology View 2127 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Program-specific application
- Résumé: Applicants are asked to upload a resume on the ‘Employment’ tab that demonstrates their prior work and volunteer experience, as related to the field of counseling.
- Statement of purpose: Directions can be found within the online application on the ‘Program materials’ tab
- Two electronic recommendation forms (forms are provided within the application)
- English Language Proficiency: Applicants who are non-native English speakers and who do not hold a degree from the U.S., Australia, English-speaking Canada, Great Britain, Ireland or New Zealand must submit valid proof of proficiency. Please visit the Graduate School to learn more about your options for proving proficiency.
- Unofficial transcripts are accepted by the College of Education for the program application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21960 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 732 USD per credit during 36 months.
National21960 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 732 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State15150 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 505 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.