Why this programme
- The exciting Product Design Engineering programme of the University of Glasgow will enable you to benefit from the combined resources and complementary expertise of staff of two top ranking Scottish institutions, University of Glasgow and Glasgow School of Art.
- Studio-based, student-centered learning based around design project activities. Students have access to state-of-the-art product design engineering prototyping and manufacturing processes in the PDE workshops at GSA and University of Glasgow.
- There are increasing pressures, from both existing and emerging world marketplaces, for products which not only respond to the needs of function, user and society, but which can be brought to market ever more rapidly through state-of-the-art development and manufacturing processes. Industries which develop, manufacture and market today's products need high-caliber graduates equipped to handle these processes with management skill and creative drive, and this programme develops graduates with these skills.
- The studio programme explores cultural, management, perceptual, process and psychological issues, offering a curriculum relevant to the needs of industry and an understanding of the role of the design engineer in society.
- The MSc Product Design Engineering is accredited in the “Further Learning” category accredited the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED). This means that a student with an accredited BEng undergraduate degree can take the accredited "Further Learning" MSc to top-up their academic qualifications in order to meet the full academic requirements for conferral of the title of Chartered Engineer. This is an alternative route to the 5-year undergraduate MEng route.
- The programme is in the process of gaining reaccreditation with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- The University of Glasgow has been delivering world-class engineering education and research since 1840.
- The School of Engineering has an Athena Swan Bronze Award, demonstrating the school’s commitment to supporting women in scientific studies and careers, and to improving the working environment for all.
Career opportunities include product research and development, system design, product manufacture and engineering design. The programme aims to provide opportunities to work on live projects with industry: this can lead to employment opportunities. Examples of companies that employ our Product Design Engineering graduates are Apple, DELL, Dyson, Jaguar-Land Rover, TomTom and Smart.
- Advanced Manufacture
- Human Factors
- Integrated Engineering Design
- Microelectronics in Consumer Products
- Instrumentation and Data Systems
- Software Engineering
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Industrial Design General Engineering & Technology View 771 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- Entry requirements are normally a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject area (product design engineering, mechanical engineering, electronic and electrical engineering being of particular relevance) or equivalent professional practice.
- Depending on your previous experience and qualifications you may be asked to complete a design engineering assignment as part of your application.
International20520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20520 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8100 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.