Civil infrastructure is critical to the development of most countries, with the UK Government alone now investing £60bn/year in new infrastructure. Huge volumes of materials are used to construct the buildings, bridges, roads, railways, airports, sea defences, power stations and other vital infrastructure that we need.
Aimed at engineers and scientists, this Advanced Materials for Sustainable Infrastructure MSc degree at Imperial College London will provide a deep understanding of the behaviour and characteristics of civil engineering materials, and the ability to develop sustainable designs for construction.
The programme is delivered in a world-leading Civil and Environmental Engineering department and the training and research you undertake will be at the forefront of developments in this area. You will have access to the new world-class Advanced Infrastructure Materials Laboratory, housed in the Department, to carry out innovative research.
This Master’s degree will produce the materials experts desperately needed by industry, in the UK and around the world. Potential employers include engineering consultants designing and supervising new infrastructure projects or upgrades to existing infrastructure, contractors constructing or upgrading/repairing infrastructure, materials manufacturers and suppliers, owners of built assets, test houses involved in testing materials and surveying structures, companies involved in designing and installing monitoring systems on infrastructure.
You will also be prepared for a career in research, making you attractive to government research laboratories concerned with the built environment and universities with civil engineering departments.
- Sustainable development
- Materials selection
- Mechanics of materials
- Concrete materials
- Advanced concrete materials
- Masonry, Timber and Glass
- Polymers and polymer composites
- Characterization of materials
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
Most postgraduate courses remain open until they are full, so make sure you apply in good time. UK and non-visa nationals have the same deadline.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Sustainable Development Sustainable Energy View 144 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
- The minimum requirement is a 2.1 degree in an engineering or science-based discipline.
- A wide variety of international qualifications are accepted.
- All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
- Online application.
- Application fee.
- An ATAS certificate is required for all visa-nationals, with the exception of EEA/Swiss nationals and nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA.
- To apply for an ATAS certificate online, you will need your programme’s Common Aggregation Hierarchy (CAH) code and ‘descriptor’, as well as your university supervisor name. For this course, these are: CAH10-03-02; Materials technology; Professor Washington Ochieng.
International35700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National15400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.