In the English-taught track of the Master’s program Materials Science and Engineering at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) , students from different disciplinary and cultural backgrounds are brought together in an enriching environment. An excellent support ratio as well as German courses help international students in familiarizing themselves with living and studying in Germany.
Excellence in Teaching and Research
The English track of the program is made possible in cooperation with the Cluster of Excellence 3D Matter Made to Order (3DMM2O), which is jointly carried by KIT and Heidelberg University. New courses led by Principal Investigators of 3DMM2O are part of the program with the objective to lay the foundation and specifically prepare international students to continue their work in the Cluster after graduation.
Material Science at KIT has a considerable reputation. For example, the journal U.S. News ranks KIT Materials Science at the top of German universities 2020. In the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021, Materials Sciences at KIT are ranked second in Germany and among the top 50 worldwide. Additionally, the new Material Research Center for Energy Systems (MZE) on KIT Campus South aims at forming a stronger network between KIT, Fraunhofer Society and relevant companies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Materials Characterization
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 44 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Germany
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A bachelor’s degree or an at least equivalent degree in the Bachelor’s Program of Materials Science and Engineering or a program with essentially the same contents at a university, a university of applied sciences, or a cooperative state university in Germany or at a university abroad must have been reached within 4a standard period of studies of at least three years with a minimum of 180 ECTS credits
- Mandatory minimum knowledge and minimum achievements according to Art. 6.
- .The applicant has not ultimately failed in an examination required according to the examination regulations of the Master’s Program of Materials Science and Engineering or a related program with essentially the same contents and the entitlement to the examination has not been lost for other reasons
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
155 € (administrative contribution)
Living costs for Karlsruhe
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.