Students working toward the Master of Arts degree must complete a minimum of 33 units of graduate work, including at least 30 units in courses offered by the Department of German Studies . GER 508 is required of all master's candidates; GER 579 is required of all graduate teaching assistants in their first semester of teaching.
Students of the German Studies degree offered by The University of Arizona must pass both a written and an oral comprehensive examination. At least twenty minutes of the M.A.
Oral Examination will be conducted in German, and the candidate’s German proficiency at expressing academic arguments is considered one component of the examination. Prior to this examination, in the spring of their first year, students who do not speak German as their first language will be required to demonstrate at least B2/advanced intermediate proficiency in reading skills and listening skills in German through a recognized proficiency examination, such as the Goethe Zertifikat, TestDaF or ACTFL proficiency tests.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
There are several tracks available for the M.A. in German Studies from University of Arizona:
- Literature and Culture,
- Literature, Culture, and Pedagogy,
- Literature, Culture, and Pedagogy with Secondary Teaching Certification,
- Literature and Culture, and Translation Studies, and
- joint professional degrees with a concentration in Journalism, Business Management, Marketing, Management Information Systems, and Collaborative Governance.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- second round: March 15
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 632 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- minimum GPA 3.0 overall; 3.5 in German courses
- English proficiency exam for international students. See list of acceptable exams and scores here.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose in German (1-2 pages)
- Audio recording in German - 3 minute short biography and 2 minute reading of literary text (not required for speakers of German as their first language)
- Official transcripts International Transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified translations
- C.V. or Lebenslauf
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 12 months.
National34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.