This English - Accelerated Master's Program from The University of Arizona is designed for eager and focused English majors with desire to continue on their studies as a graduate student working toward one of two M.A. degrees: you can pursue the MA in English or a general MA which offers you the opportunity to take courses from any of our four graduate programs.
Department of English Graduate Studies
The English Department maintains four degree-granting graduate programs:
- Literature (MA and PhD)
- Creative Writing (MFA)
- Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English, known as RCTE (MA and PhD)
- English Applied Linguistics, known as EAL (MA in TESL, with ties to the PhD in SLAT)
Each of these programs is separately administered and has a separate application procedure. In general (some programs may make exceptions or have a different deadline) applications are due in early January (for matriculation the following August). Admissions are highly selective. The department therefore urges prospective applicants to confer, by early autumn at the latest, with the Director of the individual program in which they are interested.
To access the landing page for an individual program, click on its name below. On these pages you will find contact information for each program, as well as information about graduate study in the department.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Creative Writing Nonfiction Writing
- Latina Feminisms in the Americas
- History of the English Language
- Modern English Grammar
- Teaching of Composition
- Advanced Scientific Writing
- History of Criticism and Theory
- History of the German Language
- Asian American Literature
- Studies in Southwest Literature
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 991 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Arizona and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Any English major may apply to the program during the Spring semester of their junior year. (In some cases students may be able to apply in their senior year; please contact the Program Coordinator for information.) You must have an excellent academic record and the ability to balance your coursework in a fast-paced program.
- have earned 75 units with a 3.0 GPA at the time of application
- complete 90 units by the time you are admitted (Fall of senior year)
- complete at least 12 units of upper-division in English or American literature courses at the UA prior to entering the program.
- We recommend that you speak with your academic advisor about your interest in the program early to plan your courses accordingly.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 12 months.
National34000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tucson
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.