Examples of projects are:
- Development of wearable technology to design new skin-like flexible sensors, powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI), for Dysphagia therapy or Brain-Machine Interaction for wheelchair control.
- The design of AI algorithms for medical decision making to support patients who lack the mental capacity to consent or to apply image analysis to medical images.
- Development of an intelligent system which can support health carers in generating highly personalised virtual reality (VR), to provide an effective care setting for people with dementia.
As well as offering excellent research facilities and equipment, the School allows students the opportunity to participate in regular research seminars and workshops and offers students the possibility of attending international conferences in order to present their work. As a research student in the School, you will become a member of one of our thriving research groups.
We have developed the Biomedical Engineering (by Research and Thesis) degree from University of Kent with a number of industrial organisations, which means that successful students are in a strong position to build a long-term career in this important discipline. You develop the skills and capabilities that employers are looking for, including problem solving, independent thought, report-writing, time management, leadership skills, team-working and good communication.
Building on Kent’s success as the region’s leading institution for student employability, we offer many opportunities for you to gain worthwhile experience and develop the specific skills and aptitudes that employers value.
- Students taking our MSc by Research do not undertake credit-bearing taught modules and there are no written examinations. Instead, you will be assigned a supervisor who is a leading expert in their field.
- You are expected to attend a bi-weekly supervision lasting up to 1 hour via online tools such as Skype or Google Hangout for those choosing to undertake the MSc by Research through the online option. In these meetings, you will present your progress to your supervisor. Tasks and deadlines will be set accordingly to your schedule.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Although there is no fixed closing deadline for applications to research degrees, we strongly recommend that you apply as soon as possible and no later than three months before your intended start date.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology General Engineering & Technology View 749 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- A 2.2 or honours degree or MSc with Merit or above in Biomedical Engineering, Medical Physics or a related Engineering subject
- All applicants are considered on an individual basis and additional qualifications, professional qualifications and relevant experience may also be taken into account when considering applications.
International17400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK - £2298
- EU/International - £8700
Living costs for Canterbury
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.