Law and Security at Universidade Nova de Lisboa embodies an interdisciplinary aproach due to the need to confront contemporary and emerging (in)security matters, increasingly demanding transnational, regional, and even global responses.
The focus of this Master’s Degree lies in the growing threats in the area of global and regional security, as well as those of states and citizens – with the unprecedented growth of novel terrorist threats, new forms of organised crime, and ever more violent holistic conflicts, among many other issues of concern. This gives rise to a series of challenges to traditional forms of action by public authorities and civil societies.
Today, surely more than ever, security is inextricably linked to democracy, citizenship, globalisation and development, and has to deal with both old and novel threats given their potential fast recasting the world over. This naturally calls for new academic awareness, which is what our MLS aims to provide and to help develop by bringing such awareness to the fore.
The general objective is to provide specialised training in matters of Law and of Security, from a multidisciplinary, integrated perspective. There are also specific objectives:
- To understand, from a geostrategic perspective, the challenges that the new international configuration brings to the individual and collective security of states – namely by analysing the design of a regional, international and a legal order designed to face the new challenges to security arising from organised crime, particularly with regard to the use of force;
- To promote in-depth discussions about security as a fundamental right and as a limit to other fundamental rights in the light of national Constitutions and of other normative orders in the international order within which we live, and given a changing international system under ever-increasing stresses – consistently with a focus on the rule of law;
- To systematically examine the internal legal order and the institutional responses, among others, regarding the domains of national, regional, and international security, and the roles filled by the branches of the increasingly complex, varied, and interconnected Armed Forces, the changing roles of extant police forces, and the various intelligence services;
- To understand the role of research and crime in contemporary socio-political and socio-economic domains, as well as in environmental dynamics, which includes a careful assessment of the importance of other communal and more inclusive security systems, such as civil protection, and cybersecurity or private security, in developing a sense of security.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- European Security Law
- Security, State and Constitution
- International Security Law
- Civil Protection, Safety and Community Security
- Research Methodology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEuropean Law Criminal Law Terrorism & Security View 5 other Masters in European Law in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Completion of the application form (online);
- Payment of the application fee using the ATM or PayPal reference provided through the submission procedure (51.00€);
- Online submission of the following documents: motivation letter, curriculum vitae (European model), copy of the course(s) certificate(s); copy of the tax number identification card; copy of the Identification Card;
- Applicants conditioned upon the conclusion of the bachelor’s degree must submit an interim academic transcript showing the subjects already completed with their final grades, and the degree, the institution, expected average and the conclusion date. In addition, a statement from the institution of higher education where they are attending the degree should be submitted, proving their academic situation;
- Applicants with foreign qualifications must send an academic transcript or a declaration with the final average of the degree;
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6000 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Tuition Fee for the taught component - National & International Student: 4700.00€;
- Tuition Fee for the Non-curricular phase - National & International Student: 1300.00€;
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.