Changes in government policies, strengthening of tribal governments and entities, and increases in private funding have expanded opportunities in Indian Country. Working in these settings requires specific knowledge related to history, national policy toward indigenous nations, sovereignty, and the economic and social factors that uniquely impact program delivery in Indian Country.
Programs in extension, education and social service agencies have recognized the unique challenges in indigenous communities and, therefore, have developed specific approaches for their programs to be successful in Indian Country, in the United States and in other countries, which has created a growing need for a workforce cognizant of these unique challenges.
Today, students taking these courses often have careers or are seeking employment in Native-serving organizations, as well as agencies who have extended their programming to indigenous communities and neighborhoods.
This Native Communities and Economic Development Certificate at South Dakota State University will be a good fit if you:
- Have a desire to work with and learn from Indigenous people
- Have an interest in working to support tribal sovereignty
- Are a problem solver and critical thinker
- Have strong collaborative, detail, communication and interpersonal skills
- Work well with diverse groups of people
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Federal government placement
- Non-profit operations serving tribal communities
- Tribal governments and agencies
- Youth development programs
- Community development financial agencies
- Housing agencies
- Social and Human service
- Project initiatives related to addressing disparities, wellness, and entrepreneurship
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Building Native Community in Economic Capacity
- Native American Natural Resource Management
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics International Development View 69 other Masters in Economics in United States
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 to receive unconditional admission.
- A professional academic transcript evaluation for degrees earned outside the United States (This requirement cannot be waived unless your highest degree was earned or will be earned in the U.S. prior to enrollment at SDSU).
- If you are completing your bachelor's degree at the time of application, you may submit an incomplete evaluation. If you are accepted, a complete transcript and/or evaluation with completed degree will be required by the end of your first semester of coursework.
- Official U.S. transcripts where a degree is earned (or will be earned), and official U.S. transcripts where graduate level coursework has been taken.
International647 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 647 USD per credit during .
National336 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 336 USD per credit during .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.