The practice-oriented Master of Sports Leadership (Online) from Northeastern University is structured to accommodate mid-career athletic administrators and coaches, as well as individuals seeking to prepare for careers in the sports industry.
Developed in collaboration with Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society, the Master of Sports Leadership prepares you for a variety of sport-related occupations—whether it’s working with a professional or intercollegiate sports team, with a fitness club or wellness organization, or in marketing, communication, or sports management.
Courses within this unique graduate degree examine the social and business issues that are critical to sports leadership.
Offered in an online format with an intensive one-week summer institute in Boston, this practice-oriented degree provides you with a well-rounded educational experience—equipping you to advance your career in the sports industry.
- Identify your leadership styles and strengths and take steps to improve your leadership capacity
- Understand what it takes to build highly effective teams
- Obtain approaches and techniques for effectively tackling ethical dilemmas
- Explore the legal issues related to equipment use, facility management, and accommodation for special populations
- Learn how to leverage sports for greater social and economic good
- Examine the planning, scheduling, and financial issues associated with running a successful athletics program
Already a multi-billion-dollar field, the sports industry is projected to experience faster-than-average growth over the next several years. Located all over the country, sports-related organizations and businesses require a variety of educated and skilled employees to manage day-to-day operations.
While knowledge is crucial, success is often contingent upon your willingness to work beyond 9-5—with many sporting events and related activities taking place on nights, weekends, and holidays.
The sports industry is exciting—filled with people who are driven by a passion for what they do and who are extremely satisfied with their career choice.
- Discover how to use sports to foster diversity, prevent violence, and improve the health of local and global communities
The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Developing Your Leadership Capability
- Ethical Leadership
- Sport in Society
- Leadership and Organization in Sport
- Sports Law
- Sports Media Relations
- Digital Era: The Power of Social Media
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Sports Management Sports Sciences View 59 other Masters in Sports Management in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identify your educational goals and expectations of the program
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- Two letters of recommendation: from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, or NU Global Exam scores
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22666 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
National22666 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34000 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.