You can choose to study French, German, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese or Modern Standard Arabic, in combination with English. You’ll engage in professional and collaborative translation, peer review, quality control, and specialised translation. You’ll use and evaluate the latest cloud-based translation technologies, including translation memories, machine translation and term bases, and undertake a range of complex translation tasks to and from your main language and English. Translation professionals will contribute to the module, and you’ll put their advice into practice when engaging in authentic tasks, for example, audiovisual translation and volunteering with open translation communities.
This Translation in Practice module from The Open University UK can be taken as part of the MA in Translation (F79) which provides an academic qualification for those intending to become, or who already are, professional translators.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What you will study
- This module aims to consolidate your understanding of the translation theories and concepts studied previously by applying them to the practical task of translating. You will engage with a variety of professional aspects of translation, such as analysis of text and brief; text, task and genre conventions; peer review, team working and collaborative translation; revision and quality assurance mechanisms; and features of specialised translation.
- Through various activities and exercises, you will use and evaluate the latest cloud-based translation technologies, and manage a wide range of complex translation tasks to and from your main language and English with online tools and packages, such as translation memory software, machine translation and term bases.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 58 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK honours degree (preferably a 2:1 or above) or other recognised equivalent qualification1
- Proficiency in your first language at Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level C2
- Proficiency in your second language at CEFR level C12
- Successful completion of L801 or equivalent prior experience3
- Your spoken and written English must be of an adequate standard for postgraduate study. If English is not your first language, we recommend that you will need a minimum score of 7 under the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3410 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3410 GBP per module during 9 months.
National3410 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3410 GBP per module during 9 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.