The Special Education (Grades 1-6) - in Inclusive Elementary program from Hofstra University is designed to prepare professionals in the education of children with diverse learning needs in a variety of elementary education classroom settings.
The purpose of the inclusive childhood special education program is to enable teachers to serve in a variety of professional roles at the elementary school level which will foster inclusive and collaborative practice.
This dual graduate pre-service program leads to the New York state initial certificate to teach at the childhood level (Grades 1 through 6), and the New York state initial/professional certificate to teach special education at the childhood developmental level (Grades 1 through 6). Hofstra's master of science teacher education program in inclusive elementary special education conforms to the standards and guidelines of the Council for Exceptional Children.
- The Exceptional Child
- Technology and Assistive Technology in Special Education
- Education of Students With Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Knowledge and Strategies for Teaching Students with Cognitive Disabilities, Grades 1-6
- Identification and Interventions for Children with Emotional/Behavioral Disorders, Grades 1-6
- Psychoeducational Assessment in Special Education
- The Education of Students With Learning Disabilities and Other Associated Conditions
- Social Studies in the Curriculum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSpecial Education Primary Education View 231 other Masters in Primary Education in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a liberal arts and sciences concentration.
- A completed application form to the master's program
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, or it's equivalent (e.g., a 3.0 in a completed graduate program). We encourage you to submit all transcripts from your undergraduate work and any graduate work for consideration.
- Completion of General Education Core prerequisites for teacher education programs (see below).
- Three letters of recommendation addressing the applicant's potential to succeed in the teaching of students with disabilities.
- A written personal statement of professional intent.
- Interview with a faculty member in Special Education.
International39322 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
National39322 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Hempstead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.