The study of History and Theory of Art and Architecture (MSTAA) at Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) is complemented by in-depth studies on the theory and criticism of architecture, artistic literature, the history and practice of restoration (with moments of activity in the field), museology and digital humanities with an eye towards other artistic and cultural expressions (photography, cinema, theatre, literature).
Practical workshops and internships in affiliated institutions complete the Master's training offer.
By obtaining a Master of Arts in History and Theory of Art and Architecture, you will have access, after passing the relevant calls for applications (if any), to the following academic and/or work areas:
- Doctoral studies
- Superintendence, cultural heritage offices or equivalent institutions
- Art and architecture criticism
- Art market
- Secondary and university education
- Information industry (journalist)
- Tourism sector (tourist guide)
- Artistic positions after 1945: USA & Germany
- Why History?
- Architectural Ethnography
- Architecture on Display
- Digital Heritage
- Social Architecture
- The Bauhaus: a Conceptual Model
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArchitecture History Art History View 5 other Masters in Architecture in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
The Master is offered to students who have been formed according to the new European order, but also to students with higher education diplomas according to the pre-existing regulations.
The Master's Dean's office reserves the right to integrate the study plan with some core courses if they are not present in the candidate's university resume.
On the other hand, the holder of a Master's degree is eligible without reserve:
- a BA in History of Art (or similar);
- a BA in Cultural Heritage Studies;
- a BA in Italian language, literature and civilisation (with a minor's degree and a thesis on the history of art or architecture).
International3630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3630 EUR per year during 24 months.
National1815 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1815 EUR per year during 24 months.
- National: CHF 2,000 per semester
- International: CHF 4,000 per semester
Living costs for Lugano
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.