Students in this Graduate Program in China Studies from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem also expand their understanding in China’s interactions with Asian and European cultures in the pre-modern era, as well as the culture, society, and politics of traditional, modern, and contemporary China.
The importance of the program is derived from its interdisciplinary nature, combining various fields of study and research methodologies in both the humanities and social sciences. Students in the program will be joining a vibrant academic community and enjoy opportunities for stimulating scholarly exchanges through international workshops and conferences as well as guest lectures by world-renowned scholars, sponsored by the Louis Frieberg Center for East Asian Studies and the Confucius Institute at the Hebrew University.
Unique Value Proposition – Why Us?
- The Department of Asian Studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem is the oldest of its kind in Israel and one of the largest departments in the Faculty of Humanities. It is home to more than 300 undergraduate and graduate students specializing in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and India & Indonesia Studies.
- The department maintains an environment of close cooperation between students and faculty in a wide array of extracurricular activities (e.g., conferences, workshops, and film screenings).
- The department is characterized by a tradition of excellence in research and teaching
Career and Networking
Our graduates work in academia, business and industry, and government sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The program includes both MA and PhD studies.
- The curriculum is listed below. The courses and work topics will be determined in coordination with the instructor and / or program advisor.
- Students in the Non-Research MA track who wish to switch to the MA Research track may do so by the end of their first year, as long as their average is at least 85 in courses worth at least 20 credit points, and they have passed the first year of their second foreign language course.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies View 12 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Israel
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the English language MA program in the China Section requires a Lower Advanced level of English Prior to graduation, candidates are expected to attain Upper Advanced level in English.
- Candidates who did not major in Chinese Studies at the BA level will be subject to additional requirements. Please get in touch for further information.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4850 USD per year during 24 months.
National4850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4850 USD per year during 24 months.
- Non-research track – $4,850 USD per year, excl. accommodation
- Research track – FREE
Living costs for Jerusalem
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.